Despite being an expensive place to travel there are a number of activities which are free if it is your birthday in Switzerland. Many of the inclusions are surprisingly generous; like a free round trip on the Schilthorn cable car which would otherwise cost 108 CHF at full price (presumably they hope you will bring some paying friends along).
The trick is finding where has an offer. Not even MySwitzerland has a comprehensive list and even on the official websites you sometimes have to really look to find the information.
This is just a selection of the more general attractions that are worth making a trip for (I am sure there are plenty of local mini-golf courses or restaurants that offer some discount too). I have added what I have found so far and linked to the page which lists the offer, either as a dedicated page in itself or somewhere in the prices page. I will update it as I come across more.
I would advise double-checking the conditions before turning up (in German they call anyone who has a birthday the Geburtstagskind so ‘birthday child’ is likely just a translation error unless an exact age limit is specified). And be sure to bring valid photo ID along to prove it is your birthday.
There is certainly an advantage for those who are born during the summer season.
- Montreux – Gstaad – Zweisimmen – Lenk – Free 1st class day pass.
- Lake Biel – Reduced price day pass (BSG Tageskarte Geburtstag) for 20 CHF.
- Lake Constance – Free travel.
- Lake Lucerne – Free 1st class travel on regularly scheduled boats.
- Lake Thun and Lake Brienz – Free 1st class travel on regularly scheduled boats.
- Untersee and Rhine – Free travel.
Mountain trains and cable cars
Free rides on these. The Berner Oberland around Interlaken in particular has plenty of options.
- Atzmännig – Free ride and Rodelbahn in summer, free ski pass in winter.
- Brienzer Rothorn Bahn
- Hoch Ybrig – Free day pass in winter.
- Hoher Kasten
- Pizol – Free day pass in winter, possibly also free rides in summer.
- Säntis – Not free, but you do get a 50% reduction.
- Schynige Platte – Free ride and free dessert.
- Sörenberg (various) – Free rides on the Rossweid Gondler, Brienzer Rothorn cable car, Eisee chairlift.
Bathing and Spas
- Aquabasilea (Basel) – Free entry.
- Mineralheilbad (St. Margrethen) – Free entry.
- Swissholidaypark in Morschach – Free entry.
- Tamina Therme (Bad Ragaz) – Free entry to thermal bath/spa. You can also go for a free round of Mini-Golf afterwards.